1. The Motion Picture Licensing Company International Limited ("MPLC") grants licensee ("LICENSEE") a non-exclusive licence ("Licence") to publicly perform copyrighted motion pictures and other programs from any legally obtained source intended for personal, private, home use only - such as DVDs, in its premise(s), under the Terms and Conditions specified in this Umbrella Licence Agreement (“Agreement”).
2. MPLC warrants and represents that it has secured the appropriate rights, under the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 to grant the Agreement.
3. "Term" shall mean the period beginning on the "Start Date" listed on the Umbrella Licence Application (“Application”) and shall continue thereafter for periods of one (1) year each, unless cancelled by either party at the end of said period or any subsequent period, upon sixty (60) days advance written notice. Each one (1) year period during the Term is referred to herein as a "contract year." If LICENSEE does not timely notify MPLC of intent to terminate (more than 60 days prior to the start of the contract year which is to be terminated) the Agreement will remain in effect for the entire contract year, and LICENSEE will be responsible for the entire annual fee due to MPLC hereunder. No refunds or credits will be made by MPLC in the event of early termination by LICENSEE.
4. The public performances authorised by the Agreement shall take place in the premise(s) identified in the Application or as LICENSEE otherwise notifies. The sole purpose of such performances is to entertain and/or educate authorised viewers and the audience will be limited accordingly. No specific titles, or any characters from such titles, or producers’ names will be advertised or publicised to the general public, and no admission or other fee will be charged to the audience.
5. The agreed licence fee for the first contract year of this Agreement is specified on the Application, which amount is payable to MPLC, and excludes VAT. Subsequent contract years may include adjustments based on various factors, including, but not limited to adjustments which: (i) reflect any change from the previous year’s Retail Price Index (RPI), and/or (ii) reflect an increase in the number of attendees at performances conducted pursuant to the Agreement. On an annual basis, or upon request by MPLC, LICENSEE shall furnish MPLC with the information MPLC may require to determine the licence fee for subsequent contract years. The licence fee for each subsequent contract year shall be due and payable no later than each anniversary date during the term of the Agreement.
6. The specific titles which may be publicly performed by LICENSEE under the Agreement are motion pictures produced and/or distributed by MPLC-affiliated motion picture companies only. MPLC represents that it or its motion picture company licensors may not possess the appropriate rights to certain individual titles, or, due to the expiration of those rights during the term of the Agreement, MPLC may send LICENSEE at any time during the term of the Agreement binding notices that certain titles cannot be or may no longer be publicly performed under the Agreement. Such notices shall be binding and effective upon LICENSEE when received.
7. LICENSEE may publicly perform the specific titles covered by the Agreement by means of lawfully manufactured and distributed media acquired by LICENSEE from any legitimate source. The responsibility for obtaining the motion pictures and other programs is that of LICENSEE, and that the costs of acquiring such media are to be borne solely by LICENSEE and are separate and distinct from the agreed public performance licence fee.
8. LICENSEE may not unlawfully duplicate, edit or otherwise modify the audiovisual product obtained for public performance purposes under the Agreement.
9. Any separate fees which may be due to music publishers, or collection societies for music publishers, for the right to publicly perform the music contained in any of the motion pictures covered by the Agreement are solely LICENSEE’s responsibility and are not the responsibility of MPLC.
10. The Agreement may not be assigned by LICENSEE, without the prior written consent of MPLC, except that LICENSEE shall have the right to assign the Agreement in connection with a merger, consolidation or sale of its assets and business provided that LICENSEE guarantees payment of licence fees if the assignee does not pay in a timely manner for fees owed. The Agreement may be assigned by MPLC.
11. Any notice provided for herein shall be given in person; by first class post prepaid; by reputable overnight carrier; or by facsimile; addressed to the party to be notified as listed on the Application. The date of personal service or mailing or facsimile of any such notice shall constitute the date of service.
12. MPLC reserves the right, exercisable upon thirty (30) days written notice, to terminate the Agreement on account of any breach by LICENSEE of its Terms and Conditions. In the event of such termination, there shall be no refund of the licence fee. A waiver by MPLC or by LICENSEE of any specific breach by the other shall not constitute a waiver of any prior, continuing or subsequent breach of the same, or any other provision of the Agreement. If any part of the Agreement shall be determined unenforceable, the remainder of the Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.
13. In the event MPLC engages an attorney to enforce its rights under the Agreement by virtue of the breach on the part of LICENSEE, of any term of the Agreement, LICENSEE agrees to pay the reasonable costs and reasonable attorney fees incurred by MPLC.
14. LICENSEE guarantees that the information provided by LICENSEE is true, correct and complete in all respects. The Agreement has been duly authorised and constitutes a legal, valid and binding obligation upon LICENSEE and is enforceable by its Terms and Conditions which may be updated by MPLC.
15. Any and all rights not granted to LICENSEE in the Agreement are expressly reserved to MPLC and/or its motion picture licensors.
16. To the extent that, prior to the commencement date of the Agreement, LICENSEE may have infringed upon rights held by MPLC, MPLC hereby agrees that it will not seek legal recourse or assert any claim for any and all such possible infringements. MPLC makes this warranty only with respect to rights held by it, and is not empowered or authorised to make any such representation or warranty with respect to rights held by others.
17. The Application and these Terms and Conditions contain the full and complete agreement between MPLC and LICENSEE and shall be construed in accordance with the Republic of Ireland and the parties submit to the nonexclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the Republic as regards to any claim or matter arising in relation to this License.
© 2017 MPLC. All Rights Reserved. “MPLC Umbrella Licence” is a registered trade mark of Motion Picture Licensing Company International Limited.