Frequently Asked Questions

Q We show audiovisual content that we have purchased on DVD or rented through our online streaming service subscription. Do we still need a licence to view or show it in public?
A Yes. The location requires a licence regardless of who owns the content. While you may have rented, borrowed, or purchased an audiovisual programme, you are only granted the right to view it for personal, private use, not to perform it in      public.
Q We don’t charge admission. Do we still need a licence?
A Yes. A licence is required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. However, the MPLC Umbrella Licence® covers only those situations where admission is not charged.
Q We’re a non-profit organisation. Do we still need a licence?
A Yes. Under the law, it doesn’t matter if you’re a non-profit or for-profit organisation. You are required to have a public exhibition licence to show motion pictures and other audiovisual works.
Q How much does the MPLC Umbrella Licence cost?
A In most cases, MPLC has set licence fees based on the type and size of facility. However, if the facility and/or use falls outside of these categories, the fee will be based on the nature and size of the audience and anticipated frequency of showings.
Q Does a school qualify for an educational exemption?
A The Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000, as amended by the Copyright and other Intellectual Property Law Provisions Act 2019, provides that certain performances may be shown without a licence before an audience of teachers and pupils of an educational establishment for the purpose of education, which includes instruction, lectures, study, and research. Where a school is found to be showing film in the course of activities that are not strictly for the purpose of education, they are liable for prosecution and/or civil damages.
Q We're not open to the general public. Do we still need a licence?
A Yes. Even if the guests are limited to members-only, any location outside of the home is considered public for copyright purposes and requires a licence.
Q We rent out our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?
A Yes. The facility owner can be held vicariously liable or considered a “contributory infringer”.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact MPLC at +353 (0) 65 68 20368 send us an email to